Reading and Mathematics are the two areas in which every child needs a solid foundation and absolute fluency. Our unique approach is focused on these two vital aspects of scholastic performance. Our approach to reading and spelling fluency is eclectic in the sense that we teach all phonic sounds with specific keywords, but also include “Sight Reading” as part of the programme. Our Educators use various approaches to boost the learner’s ability levels in reading and maths. These approaches include daily Maths Fluency and Word Analysis exercises where the basic “building blocks” of these skills are practised in an integrated, exciting way! Maths Fluency entails daily “Speed Tests” are held in class where learners are able to track their own progress throughout the year. This enhances the learner’s ability to work out more intricate calculations with ease.
We incorporate three main integrated methodologies in each classroom daily:
1 BRAIN GYM
2 ILT (Integrated Learning Therapy)
Each of these methodologies has been developed to enhance core academic skills, higher order processing and functional learning.
Brain Gym ® International is committed to the principle that moving with intention leads to optimal learning. Through our outstanding instructors and movement based programs, we empower all ages to reclaim the joy of living.
- Promote play and the joy of learning
- Draw out and honour innate intelligence
- Build awareness regarding the value of movement in daily life
- Emphasize the ability to notice and respond to movement-based needs
- Encourage self-responsibility
- Leave each participant appreciated and valued
- Empower each participant to better take charge of his own learning
- Encourage creativity and self expression
- Inspire an appreciation of music, physical education and the fine arts
The TEACCH method is not considered an actual therapy but rather a range of therapeutic tools to help individuals with learning difficulties understand their surroundings.
TEACCH methods are aimed at teaching and maintaining skills, without prompts, which will lead to independence.
TEACCH Principles in the Classroom:
- Creating the correct layout of a learner’s environment. Clearly defined physical boundaries, workstations, separate activity areas, etc.
- Setting up a schedule or planner which indicates what will be happening and when it will be happening.
- Tasks are designed in such a way that visually based clues are used, these enable the learner to understand what is expected with little or no difficulty.
The goal is independent learning through the utilisation of routine, visual clues and independent, individual learning activities.
Children’s development during the early years is influenced by their neurodevelopment, neurophysiology, neurochemistry and neuro-anatomy.
For optimal learning readiness, all of these aspects need to be firmly in place.
ILT pinpoints areas of the learner’s development that need improvement. School and daily life place incredible demands on our children, and it is our duty to give them every possible opportunity to have the skills and confidence to face the world head-on. The ILT exercises and tasks are specifically developed to ensure that the learner is in the position to have full access to each and every experience during their education; academically, emotionally and socially.
The ILT programme focuses on areas such as:
- Learning Readiness.
- Mathematical and Language fluency.
- Enhancement of vestibular functioning.
- Strengthening of core muscles and increasing of overall muscle tone.
- Developing directionality and spatial skills.
All the ILT exercises, done daily in class, are specially designed by our ILT Practitioner, Angela Eloff. The learner’s level of development is taken into account, and specific exercises are prescribed for the class.
Mrs Eloff visits the school regularly and provides each educator with constant feedback, advice and hands-on training in this vital program.
Integrated Learning Therapy (ILT) helps get to the bottom of learning problems by considering the child in totality.